What One Book (Play) Do You Think Everyone Should Read?

I’ve read Death of a Salesman many, many times in many, many different literary classes. I’ve written at least three papers on it, all with different theses. I just love this play.

I think what captivates me most about Salesman is the pursuit of success within the story, and how each characters comes to an epiphany of what success really is by the end of his or her part in the play. The play challenges its readers to ask a number of questions about success. What exactly is it? How does one achieve it?

And are we all phony little fakes?

For those who haven’t read it, be aware that it is dark and depressing, but it also isn’t entirely dark and depressing. It depends on how you interpret the ending (I personally like to read the ending with optimism). In spite of this darkness, I still encourage everyone to pick it up at least once, but preferably a handful of times in their lives. I like to think of Salesman as a litmus test for our own definition of success and what we are willing to do to achieve it.

So the answer to the question is Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller. And if you’d prefer to watch rather than read, the 1985 film features Dustin Hoffman and a young John Malkovich. I think it is an exquisite adaptation.

Comments