Looking Back (Part 1?): The Definition of Success

So when I was publishing The Dragonlord's Heir, I created a Facebook "author" page. I've since disabled it, but I can still go back and read the things I posted. Turns out I posted quite often, from sharing inspirational quotes, to sharing helpful links, to writing my own stuff. 

At the moment it has retained 132 page likes. That's not very much, but at the time, I was pleased with it. It was a small audience, and they followed me regularly. That's something to be proud of, even if it is small!

As I read through these old posts, I realize how my attitude has changed, and not necessarily for the better. Back then, I felt like I had the world at my feet. I believed the future was mine. The optimism and genuine passion in my words almost brings me to tears. Where is that ambitious, driven twenty-something-year-old? Where did she go?

I'm glad I stumbled across these old posts. I needed it. I needed to be reminded of the passion I once had for this game.

Below is a post from November 13, 2013. I've left it unedited, even though I cringe a bit at some of my words. It's crazy to think I was this person before. I'm going to rediscover this drive and stop feeling sorry for myself.

I'm thinking I'll publish this in a series of reflections titled "Looking Back." So here's part one.


How do you Define Success for Yourself?

As I’ve recently made the decision to independently publish my books, I’ve had to ask myself this question. It’s very important that I know what exactly I’m working for so I don’t become discouraged along the way.

Of course, you can be realistic as well as optimistic at the same time. I harbor the hope deep in my heart that I will become a bestselling novelist, making a living at writing books. But that’s not likely to happen – not because I don’t have faith in myself, but because I know the odds of the industry.

So I’ve set my standards a little lower. I don’t expect to leap into bestsellerdom, especially not after my first book. But I do hope to sell a decent amount of books. By “decent amount,” I mean enough to reach out beyond my immediate scope of friends and family. I can force my family to buy and read my books – I can’t force any old passer-by to read my book.

But even still, high sales aren’t what define success for me in this industry. This is how I define success:

1.  I wrote a full-length book. Without sounding like I’m bragging here, I realize that not a lot of people can do that. Heck, sometimes I don’t even know how I did it! Writing a book is a long, tedious journey, one that is not easily accomplished, especially when you reach the editing/revising stage. Even though the book isn’t published, getting the damn thing written says enough in itself.
2.  I stuck with that book through thick and thin, even when I was discouraged by others or even by myself. Even when my shoulder devil tried to put me down, I stuck with it. Why? Because it’s my baby, and even if it’s not a national bestseller, I can think of a handful of people who would enjoy it. The point is, I didn’t give up. Not yet, anyway.
3.  I’m taking the necessary steps involved to put a polished piece of work out there for people to read, regardless of the route I take. When my book is physically in my hands and I can look at it without thinking, “I could’ve done more,” then I will feel like I’ve achieved what I wanted to achieve.When my book is physically in my hands, my definition of success will be fulfilled. That is something that I have control over. I may not have control over how the world reacts to it, but I have control over birthing my masterpiece into life.

Keeping your definition of success at mind can help you stick to your plan, even when you want to quit and feel like you’re wasting time. Believe me, I’ve been there. And you know what? I’m sure most – if not all – of your favorite authors have been there, too. Discouragement is universal, but pushing through the pain isn’t always. It takes hard work and dedication to keep pushing. You might be pushing for ten, even twenty years, but if you haven’t achieved your success yet, I advise you not to quit.

After all, I knew I wanted to write books when I was a kid. Twenty years later, that’s still what I want to do.

So how do you define success for yourself?

Comments